I’ve been falling behind in my reports of progress. The good news is that instead of writing about working on the Jeeps, I’ve actually been working on the Jeeps. Here is a pictorial of some of the progress that I’ve made most recently (given the lack of updates, some additional progress may be visible in the photos).
Less commentary, more pictures!
Porkchop Suspension Work
The last of the suspension to be replaced. On the previous leaf spring swap-out, I started doing some cleanup work on the frame and undercarriage of the Jeep. I figured that “while I’m here, I might as well get this taken care of – I don’t plan on removing the leaf spring again so it’s now or never.”
After seeing the results, I’m really, really regretting not taking advantage of having the front leaf springs off and taking the time to clean up the front half. Oh well.
Under the wheel well didn’t look any better, I’m afraid. I spent a great deal of time pressure-washing and cleaning the inside, and the dirt and muck that came out was… well… impressive. At least it left me with a good surface to work from.
And by way of comparison, here was the original again:
The brake drum is going to be replaced anyway, so that’s why I didn’t really worry about it as far as the “makeover” goes.
When I got the trailer I knew that I was going to have to do some cleanup work. It’s a little over 20 years old, and while it’s solid it is definitely showing it’s age. When I got it I immediately began to de-rust and POR 15 the metal, as well as start sanding down the deck and re-staining it. Key phrase – started to do it. As you can see, there’s still quite a bit more to get done.
Why didn’t I just suck it up and do the whole thing at once? For one, lack of materials. For another, lack of time. It turns out that it takes a long, long time to prepare and clean metal for preservation, and the sanding of the deck was no picnic. Thing is, you need an entire weekend for only a few of the slats, because the sanding takes that long and you need to get the staining done immediately afterwards. Much of this is about timing.
I haven’t manned-up enough to finish the deck yet, but I did spend a couple weekends recently to continue working on the frame, under the wheel wells, and refurbish the wheels (on both sides). It’s looking pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Rear of the Wheel Well
Front of the Wheel Well
Inside the Bed
Wheel Well (wide view)
Once again, what it looked like when I bought it:
I think you’ve got the idea, but just to show that I did the other side as well…
(Obviously the time of day that I took this last photo doesn’t really do it justice, but I’ll go back and take another one at some point where there aren’t harsh shadows)
By way of comparison (because I love these kind of makeover shots), here is what it looked like when I bought it:
Hmmmm…. it’s really not as dramatic as it should be in the pics. I really do need to take a better “after” picture. Oh well.
One of the things that I’ve been on the lookout for is a shovel that goes underneath the hood of the M38A1. I managed to find an original shovel from a seller specifically for Porkchop, and cleaned it up. Turns out the Olive Drab paint that the previous owner gave me was too old to be effective, so it’ll have to be re-sanded and re-sprayed again. However, I think it looks much better than when I got it.
Now I just have to find an axe.
Next stop for Porkchop is to get the brakework and steering finished. To do that I need to buy new tires, however, and since I’m going to do that I might as well finish up the rims. No rest!
Pingback: Willys Jeep: Porkchop’s Undercarriage Makeover | J Metz's Blog